Monday, March 2, 2009

Anti-aging options for a young woman?

Anti-aging options for a young woman?

I'm 24 years old, but as I am obsessed with my looks, I am looking to find ways to stay looking young. Should I get a mini face lift now or only Botox?

What is the best option for a 24 year old who is beginning to see SLIGHT signs of aging, besides creams. I feel like my nasolabial folds are bothering me the most, and I feel I'm starting to get them because of my constant dieting and losing/gaining weight in my face.

I used to have chubby cheeks when I was younger but as I got older they went down. If I get Botox or some kind of filler, I don't want to look like I have chubby cheeks again, but if I get a Face lift and pull them back would I look overdone?

ANSWER:

An individualized approach is best

At 24, I would consider you pretty young for most cosmetic procedures, although I totally understand that you want to look your best and continue to do so for years to come. So, for right now, I would do minimally invasive treatments such as Botox, IPL, light chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and Retin-A/sunscreen. Without seeing you personally, it would be hard to suggest juvederm or any other filler for the nasolabial folds, although if indicated, this should be a fine treatment as well.

I'm a big proponent of Botox used to prevent wrinkles, so that would be an excellent first line choice. Doing sunscreen every morning will also preserve and moisturize your skin and prevent sundamage. Retin-A is a proven wrinkle reducer / preventer that would be an excellent choice every night. Doing glycolic acid 30% peels +/- microdermabrasion should be very helpful in giving your skin a nice glow. IPL can be done if you have some freckling or signs of sun damage. Other procedures, such as Fraxel, are more likely needed if you have fine texture abnormalities or acne scarring to repair.

A face lift at 24 would be hard to recommend, and fillers must be recommended only if indicated when you are officially evaluated.

Answer by Don Mehrabi, MD
Board Certified Dermatologist, Beverly Hills Dermatologist

www.DermZone.com
www.BHSkin.com
www.MySkin101.com

No comments:

Post a Comment