Sunday, February 22, 2009

Is Juvederm safe?

Is Juvederm safe?

I want to get Juvederm injections for the laugh lines around my mouth. Is Juvederm safe? What should I know about the safety of Juvederm?

ANSWER:

Juvederm is safe

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler. Hyaluronic acid is a natural component of second layer of your skin, the dermis. It can actually hold 1000x it's own weight in water and is excellent at volumizing the skin. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra, and Juvederm Ultra Plus have been used widely and safely for many years.

While skin and allergy reactions rarely occure, the most common complications are pain, brusing, asymmetry, and possible lumpiness or bluish tint if injected too superficially. A rare, but serious complication, is skin necrosis and ulceration due to injection into an arterial vessel. This complication is primarily due to injection technique and the area of injection. The area most prone to this is the area between the eyebrows (glabella area / "11" lines). Great caution must be excersized greatly in this area. Regarding the laugh lines specifically, this area is one of the most commonly injected areas and is widely considered safe to be injected.

While these reactions / complications are uncommon, these are the main issues that you have to consider when getting injected with Juvederm or any other hyaluronic acid filler. Please make sure to consult your physician thoroughly before doing your procedure.

Answer by Don Mehrabi, MD
Board Certified Dermatologist, Beverly Hills Dermatologist

www.BHSkin.com
www.DermZone.com
www.MySkin101.com

2 comments:

  1. I think Juvederm is the safest cosmetic treatment. Even if the procedure is the same with Botox, the risk of side effects is not so big, because juvederm contains hyaluronic acid, a natural substance that can be found in our skin.
    When I decided to have Fillers in Toronto I had no idea about this detail, but when my physician explained me how every treatment works, juvederm was my first choice.
    I had amazing results but I have to thank my hysician too because we took great care of me before and during the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. http://www.mdcote.net/

    ReplyDelete